For a few months I had been struggling to many a group of ELLs in a general education classroom that I 'push in' to. The group includes two students with interrupted schooling who have very limited stamina, need one-to-one or one-to-two instruction, and who are in the pre-production stage; a few students who are emerging ELLs, two intermediate beginner ELLs, and and intermediate ELL. The group comprises Chinese, Arabic, and Italian speakers but Chinese is the majority NL in the group. Last week I began experimenting with an approach that appears to be working. In short, I strategically paired students to work together on a list of tasks. As the pairs work through the list I am able to provide direct instruction to the newcomers who need more structured support. When I see the newcomers are beginning to fatigue, I put them on learning chocolate to practice vocabulary linked to our lesson. While my newcomers are copying from the board, working on a matching task, or using learning chocolate, I circulate among the pairs and check in with them. I collect their work and assess the results. The plan, moving forward, it to theme-based units that culminate in a project and which integrates language objectives throughout. I'm attaching the first conception of this approach. It's not ideal because it's a starting point. Most notably, it does not have an explicit language objective. Future materials will much more clearly identify and incorporate language and content objectives. Check it out and let me know if you find it useful.